When rubbish flowers in a cemetery

November 18, 2007

The Stone Quarry Song

The scorching sun, the burning feet.
A stone here, another there,
lying rigid like my body on this land;
Stone upon stone and all else is sand.

As I tear open mother earth’s body and see her bleed,
I can’t see the sweat and the cuts on my feet.
I hear my child crying but cannot move
Just have to keep doing what I always do.

Mother Nature gives us the food,
but our stomachs can’t feel
As there are several mouths to eat
and just one hand to feed.

Not a tree in sight, no water to drink
Only sweat on my palms and all else seems to shrink.
Just me and the stone is all I see;
Yes my child is dead, that’s one mouth less to feed.

In the shadow of the stone my heart too has become cold
My hands are now weary and my body is old.
Will someone ever change my plight?
I am now tired and cannot fight.
My eyes only see and my body cannot feel;

The scorching sun, the burning feet.

1 comment:

Gauri Gharpure said...

poignant.. imagery is touching...perhaps is one of those poems written in a fit of emotions, and so it's so good...